Saturday, November 5, 2011

End the Day

So as I get closer and closer to the end of the trail, it becomes harder and harder to relax at the end of the day. Hiking the miles is "easy" (or at least consistent, almost mundane) but it's telling yourself to stop for the day that's hard. As I've said, some people make the bad decision of turning to tobacco. Others build a fire or listen to an FM radio. Mom would be prouder still to know I've turned to reading lately, and have gone through a dozen books lately. They range from rereading 1984 to the terrible (but guilty sinfully awesome) novelization of "Cowboys & Aliens". I just finished (re)reading "the Alchemist" (thank you sister Brenna), where "The King" asks the protagonist to carry a spoonful of oil while he tours the King's house, and tells him the meaning of life is to enjoy the scenery without losing the oil. A conqueror would tell you that, regardless of the sights you saw or didn't see, losing the spoon's oil is a loss or you somehow failed the game of life by losing the spoon's contents. And a wanderer would tell you, like the little bald monk boy in "The Matrix": There is no Spoon. As usual I attempt to be neither but am occasionally either as I move closer and closer to the end.

This seems like a good spot to tack on my all time favorite "tags", another way to pass the time at the end of the day.

1. "Cash Rules Everything Around Me C.R.E.A.M. Dollar Dollar Bill Ya'll"
(A Reference to the Wu Tang Clan). I actually have a video of it, but the file is apparently too large to upload on here. But I have photos of all the others.

2. "The Cake is a Lie"
(A Reference to the videogame Portal)



3. "Tom Marvolo Riddle" (+Deathly Hallows Symbol)
(A Reference to Harry Potter)


4. "Infinity Times Marijuana Plus Pi Equals Jesus Upsidedown Question Mark"
Self-explanatory.


5. A sign that says "No Sign".

3 comments:

  1. You are doing it. You've got this. Seriously, you have hurdled the final blocks. The finish line is in sight. The rest is downhill from here. You've broken past the hardest walls. It's almost time to start celebrating, in fact it's already time to start celebrating yourself. You have just about completed the hardest thing you've done with your life so far. And maybe the hardest thing you will ever do in your life. You are inches from reaping the rewards of blood, sweat, and tears. Literally. The only things worth getting are the ones that are hard-earned. If this isn't hard-earned, don't tell me what is. You have legs you can trust, and discipline you will know is there for the rest of your life. When things get hard years from now, you will know you have, because you have tested, your strength, consciousness, and power. I hope you start smiling. You are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah how the Alchemist has such yummy metaphors. I very carefully picked that book to send to you. The first time I ever read it I thought of you and your wanderlust. Please know how incredible you are for finishing this journey-with or without the spoon. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay my good friend yay....your newsletter will be mailed to GA.

    ReplyDelete